Client: Alastair Caldwell
Services: Social media management
Sector: Motor racing
Alastair Caldwell was the McLaren Formula One motor-racing team manager from 1974 to 1978. He founded Space Station Self Storage and now pursues his interest in classic car rallying around the world.
In 2010 Alastair asked us to develop and manage his social media profile as he wished to have a higher profile in the motor industry and by association promote his self storage business.
The campaign we put together and managed for Alastair included the following:
- Set up social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Creating blog articles about each rally Alastair took part in
- Promotion of major news such as Alastair’s involvement in the film “Rush”
- Promotion to local and national press of Alastair’s major rally participation
- Promotion of Alastair’s mother as the world’s oldest classic rally navigator
- Arranging interviews and involvement with several broadcast outlets for production of documentaries, tv & radio programmes and films about Formula 1, McLaren, James Hunt and other historic motor racing topics.
Social media management
As a classic rally driver, Alastair takes part in around 5 or 6 classic rallies each year, each lasting between a week and a month or so. Because these events take place all round the world, it’s often not convenient or possible for Alastair to post to his own social media accounts while he’s travelling.
How we work with Alastair
Alastair takes lots of photos and records lots of short videos during all his travels, and sends them to us when it’s convenient, usually with some brief description or voiceover.
We then formulate the photos and videos into social media posts, upload and schedule them on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, where appropriate.
At the end of each rally, we’ll create a blog on Alastair’s website about the whole event, incorporating the best photos and videos. We’ll then promote the blog on social media.
This generates many enquiries, Likes, retweets and shares. We’ll answer as many of the enquiries as we can, referring back to Alastair for any detailed information.
Many invitations come as follow-up to the posts and blogs and so we’ll liaise with Alastair to set up telephone or in-person interviews, which may be used in the press, on radio or TV, as pure interviews or as part of a wider documentary incorporating interviews with other motor racing personalities.
Each month we provide a report to Alastair detailing the performance of his various social media channels, showing engagement, numbers of followers, numbers of retweets, shares, Likes and traffic to his website.